10-b My Life at Tamasse D.A.R.




From fall of 1942 when I was 13 until graduation

in spring of 1946 at 17




            When the decision was made to enroll Maggie and me in Tamasse D.A.R. School, Dad went to Walhalla and purchased a footlocker for us to carry our clothes in. He could not afford to buy each of us a separate one. This was during World War II and money was hard to get.

            When Dad and Mrs. Kirksey carried us to Mr. Cain's office he carried us to the South Carolina building where he introduced us to the House Mother, Mrs. Allie Crouch. She told us to follow her and we went upstairs to a room with four beds. There we met our roommates, Mary Jane and Juanita Rholetter, who were from Westminster, South Carolina, near Brasstown. Mary Jane didn't stay there very long but Juanita stayed two years and she and I became good friends. They also had a brother, Glenn, but he didn't stay very long.

            Soon after we arrived we were sent to the infirmary for a TB shot. Dr. Boggs from Greenville came to the school to give us the TB test and he also drew a vial of blood for some other tests. All the students had to take this test. It would only take a few minutes, but when they tried to draw my blood they couldn't get any. Finally they stopped after trying so many times. When Mother Frazier, the nurse, would see me going across the campus she would say, "There goes that girl who hasn't got a drop of blood."

            All the students called Mr. and Mrs. Cain, "Daddy Ralph" and "Mama Lillian". They became our adopted parents.

            The first time we went to the dining room to eat I was trying to sit at the first table I came to and some big girl told me, "You can't sit there, it's reserved". I didn't know what "reserved" meant and I began to cry...then this real nice person told me, "Come here honey, you can sit at my table". I was so thankful for that nice girl.

            We were given different jobs to do. My first job was making uniforms for the students. The ones we wore through the week were of medium blue Indian Head material, but the Sunday ones were of Navy Blue gabardine and we wore a white collar with it. I had always wanted to sew but when I was at home Mama was afraid I would break her sewing machine needle. They were hard to replace during the war. I thoroughly enjoyed making uniforms.

            Earlier I had gotten real homesick and wrote Mama a letter asking her to come get me. She wrote back and told me we had to stay or Mrs. Kirksey would be disappointed in us. I toughed it out and soon got over being homesick.


The name of the dining hall and kitchen was Ohio Hobart Hall. There was a large dining area and the kitchen was in the back of this building. There was a large stove and a place to wash dishes and shelves to store them so they would be ready for the next meal. There were coolers in the basement and a place to keep the milk cold. They boys milked the cows and brought the milk up morning and night. There was a porch near the back of the kitchen and it was screened in. That's where we usually went to peel potatoes and chop cabbage to boil and many times we made cole-slaw and prepared other vegetables. Mr. Cain would come at times and watch us peel potatoes. He would say, "Girls, you are peeling too much off." We had to be thrifty.

            We lived in South Carolina building all that first year. Maggie roomed with Midge Green after Mary Jane left. All the buildings were named for states.

            Miss Lola Wilson who was secretary for Mr. Cain lived down stairs. She also took care of the Post Office.  The dormitories were heated by steam radiators. They made a popping noise until they got hot.

            We had certain times we had to stay in our rooms and study. This was called study hall.Many times during the year we would have fire drills, day or night. We would often have to go down a ladder or outside steps to get out. We never knew when these drills would take place, but we could expect them any time.

 Pauline in school uniform

The second year we were there we were assigned to the All States Hall, a two story building. Miss Juliette McCrory was house parent. Ollie Mae Burrell was the supervisor. There were only two beds in these rooms. Maggie doesn't remember her roommate, but my roommate was Evelyn Swangham. Evelyn didn't stay too long and I finished the year rooming with Betty Hasket.

            Our jobs that year were to work in the kitchen helping in any way we could in preparing fruits and vegetables for cooking and to work in the laundry. Mrs. Eloise Grant helped us in the kitchen and Mrs. Sam Nicholson was over the laundry. We had big cement tubs to rinse the clothes in after they were washed. We would splash the water out and get the floor wet. One day while we were in the laundry a thunder cloud came up and lightning came in on that wet floor and shocked us, but no one was hurt, just shocked. After that if a cloud was nearby they would not let us be in the laundry. Mrs. Nicholson taught us to iron sheets and pillowcases on a big ironer. Then we would return them to the dormitories.

            There was a water tank between All States Hall and the dining room. A bell was on the water tank that we had to ring at different times. Sometimes it was for classes, sometimes it was to call us for meals and sometimes it was for special events. One day the rope to ring the bell got hung on the water tank and we could not reach it. Although it was a "No! No!" to climb on the water tank, Maggie decided she would go up and get the rope loose. I was so afraid she was going to fall and get hurt, but she made it back down safely.

            We stayed in All States Hall all that year and mostly worked in the kitchen and dining room. That year Maggie made the biscuits and I would stir the other foods that were cooked on top of the stove. I also washed dishes. We had a large area to drain the glasses and when they got dry we would have to polish them until they shone...no water spots could be left on them. The other dishes had to be dried and stored on shelves. These were used for setting the tables.

            Mr. Cain would often have a group of the D.A.R. dignitaries for a meal and we had to serve them. They always made sure we knew the correct way to serve the tables. This made us very nervous the first few times we had to do this job. Mrs. Marett, the dietician, made out menus for these meals. They were always more elegant than what the students had, but they were not extravagant.

            Every other month we would have to polish the dining room floor. We would move all the tables to one end of the building and mop and wax the floor. Then we would use old army blankets to polish it. This made a shine that you could almost see yourself in the floor. Next we would move the tables to the other end and polish it.

            We stayed all that year in the All States Hall. I can remember there was a big fat red-headed girl...her name was Elise Swafford. She was always complaining and calling people names and tattling on everyone. One day she was going down the hall and she said, "That Maggie is the bossiest person that ever lived", and I heard her and jumped her right then and there. She told Miss Jule on me and I was sure I would have to go to Mr. Cain's office, but Miss Jule let me by.

            Mrs. Marett, the dietician, was moved to Indiana Cottage to be House Parent for the youngest children and a Miss Pearl Hunsinger was hired as dietician. She had a hard time trying to keep the girls quiet while they were working. One day during one of the episodes of her trying to calm the girls down, she said, "Girls, turn your volume down". Faye Phillips said, "Miss Hun, just what is 'your volume'?" She told Faye, "you know that little knob on the radio that makes it softer or louder," and Faye said, "Miss Hun I just want you to know that I fell down the other day and broke my volume and it won't turn down."

            One day Mr. Lawrence Grant and the boys butchered a hog. We were rendering out the fat to use the lard to make biscuits with. I tried to move the pot of grease off the stove and the potholders slipped and the hot grease splashed out and burned both of my hands. Miss Hunsinger grabbed a gallon jug of vanilla flavoring and poured it on my hands which made the burns go deeper. They called Dr. John Davis to come treat the burns. He told them I would be unable to do any work until they healed. He used some kind of gel on my hands that he said was a new medicine for burns and was supposed to leave no scars. I had to stay in the infirmary and Mother Frazier had to feed me my meals. My hands soon got well and I returned to my dormitory. This is the year Maggie and I had measles.

            Now I want to tell where all the classes were held. The administration building was used for a number of things....the grammar school classes were upstairs. They were the first through the 7th grade. The smaller classes such as the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd were behind the stage and the 4th and 5th classes were across the auditorium in a partitioned off section. The high school classes were down stairs. They were 8th through 11th. 1947 was the last class to finish in four years.

            The auditorium was used for multiple purposes. That's where we had chapel services before class. Most of the time we would do the Pledge of Allegiance to the Flag and sing the alma mater. This building was used for rummage sales and some of us girls would help sorting the clothes and then help with the sales.

            Sometimes Mr. Cain would rent a movie and we would all go to the auditorium to watch it. We had lots of enjoyable things to do in this place. We would have parties and square dances as well as folk dances. There was one folk dance that I really liked. It was called, Paul and His Chickens.

            The Cains had three girls, Lyrlene, Silvia, who was called "Sweet", and Helen. Lyrlene was in New York most of the time studying opera. Silvia was taking dancing lessons and she taught us girls the Tap, Jitterbug, and the Polka and several ballroom dances. We had loads of fun learning these dances. We had a boy who could Buck Dance real well and Mr. Cain loved to watch him. His name was Morris Carter.

            The auditorium was where we had Glee Club and some music. This was also the place where we had church. Everyone had to go to church unless they were sick. They would have different denominations to speak to us. One Sunday would be Baptist, one Sunday Presbyterian, one Sunday Methodist, and one Sunday Catholic. They would have an alternate speaker if we had five Sundays in a month. After church we had to go to our dormitory rooms and lay on our beds and rest for an hour. This was known as quiet time and there could be no talking. At the end of the hour we were free to visit our families if they were able to come see us, or we could talk with our friends and sit on the porch.

            Bertha Mae Moody had a boy friend who lived in Walhalla. He would come to see her most every Sunday. She would watch for him and as soon as she saw him drive up she would come running out of New York Cottage to meet him. She was the only one who had a boy friend close by. Many of the girls had boy friends in the service.

            There was a beautiful blond headed girl by the name of Wanda Lee DeLozier and she had the most beautiful hair. It was shoulder length and she rolled it under on the ends. She had a boy friend in the service and when he came home they got married and she left school. She also roomed in the New York Cottage.

            The third year we were separated. Maggie was assigned to go live at New Jersey Cottage to keep house and cook for the Cains and I was to be supervisor for 10 girls in South Carolina Building, so we only saw each other at school. Maggie had a boy friend in the Air Force, Leroy Winchester. He rarely came home. Just before Maggie was sent to work for the Cains she injured her hand and couldn't write. I wrote her letters for her. Leroy always told me I could write very interesting letters.

            Shortly after Maggie moved to New Jersey Cottage to live, Lyrlene came home from New York and was upstairs practicing her opera. Maggie asked Mrs. Cain, "Who is that hollering?" Mrs. Cain told her, "that is 'Eenie' practicing her opera". That was very embarrassing to Maggie.

            I played basketball the rest of the time I was there. I also went out for track and won several medals but due to the war we were told we would get our medals later, but we never got them.

            We also had Girl Scouts and Miss Murdock was our scoutmaster. We had four different troops and we named them after the generals in the service. I was in the George S. Patton troop. We learned lots of things in scouts such as tying different kinds of knots and one thing we did was to cook a bean hole hen. That was hard to do but we enjoyed anything difficult.

            Our first year in scouts we went camping at Camp Jocassee. We had a pool to swim in and lots of games to play. We had rustic cabins to stay in and at night we could hear the bobcats and panthers or cougars hollering and it sounded scary. During the day we would go hiking and looking for wild flowers. We would play horseshoes and hop skotch, jump rope, and any games we could make up. We built a campfire at night but we put water on it to put it out before we went to bed. We roasted wieners and marshmallows but mostly we ate sandwiches and pork and beans. That camp is covered by Lake Keowee now.

            The boys' cottage at the school was called Illinois Cottage and it was the farthest away from the main campus. Mrs. Rogers was the house parent for the boys. "Ma Rogers," as the boys called her, was a little on the hefty side, or in other words, a fat lady. After we finished our evening meal we could go back to our dormitories. The boys would follow Mrs. Rogers back to Illinois Cottage and some smart aleck would use his hands to make the shape of a woman and then say, "Oh what a shape", and if Ma Rogers turned to look they would drop their hands and say, "This world is in." But I think she knew they were having fun at her expense.

            At times our D.A.R. ladies were called D.A.R mothers and they called us their children. They would send us money to buy our notebooks, paper, and tablets but most of the time we had to rely on our parents to buy the paper we needed. 'Pete' Chapman wrote her dad to send her some paper and he ignored her so after two and a half weeks she wrote him a letter on tablet paper. After that she got her paper pronto. Her dad was a taxi driver in Walhalla. His name was Fred Chapman.

            One day Mr. Cain had Mr. Lawrence Grant and the boys to butcher a cow for beef. The boys had named all the cows and this one they named, "Dog". They cut the beef and delivered it to the kitchen to cook for the evening meal. The boys had a lot of fun out of the name of that cow. They would go to each table and tell the girls, "Do you know you are eating Dog?" After they had made the girls sick they would then tell them that it was the cow's name. The boys were always pulling something on the girls. One morning they came in and said, "We are having jam and grits for breakfast." We would say, "J-A-M and G-R-I-T-S?” and they would say, "Yes, jam your feet under the table and grit your teeth."

            When I moved back to the South Carolina Building I had a new roommate, a beautiful blonde. Her name was Marguerite Neeley. We roomed together for the last two years I was there. Our room was directly over where Miss Lola Wilson lived, and if we got a little noisy she would take her broom handle and give a few taps on the ceiling to let us know she was being disturbed.

            The truck that brought the bread to the school had to drive the road behind our building. Sometimes if we were outside the bread man would throw us a loaf. Mr. Cain found out about it and had it stopped. That was real good bread and we sure missed that treat. We just couldn't get by with much of anything.

            When the new school was finished Mr. Cain made a movie of us carrying the desks, tables, and other furniture across the road to the new building. We were so proud of that building and we had much more room for classes.

            Some of the teachers were Mrs. Allie Crouch, typing, Mrs. Dendy was librarian, Miss Timmerman taught science and biology, Miss Murdock taught algebra and home economics, Mrs. Dupree taught music and Glee Club, and Miss Hester taught English. Mr. Dupree taught literature. Mrs. Cain, Miss McCrory, and Miss Mildred Carter taught the grammar school classes.  Most of the teachers had other duties after classes were over. Mr. Rieley taught shop. I am not sure I named all the teachers in the right classes but most of them are right. It has been quite a few years since I was in school but I cherish all the memories I have about my time at Tamassee.

            The third year we were there Mr. Dupree and Miss Murdock carried the Boy Scouts and the Girl Scouts on a camping trip to Camp Sleepy Hollow. This camp was located off Highway 76 just below Chechero Church. That night we hiked into Clayton, Georgia to see a movie. The name of the movie was Forever Yours, a love story. Ernest had been dating a girl by the name of Pearl Pelfrey. I don't know what happened between them that caused them to break up but he asked me to walk back to the camp with him.

The next day when we were going back to Tamassee he saved a seat for me on the bus and from that time on were sweethearts. I will always believe the Lord used this to bring us together. God works in mysterious ways and it's hard to see what He is doing in our lives until later on.

            When we arrived back at Tamassee Ernest asked me if he could carry my books for me and of course I said yes. He would carry my books to the steps of South Carolina Building, give me a little hug and then on to his dormitory. He could not take my books to my room, as the boys were not allowed in the girls' dormitories. We would see each other again when we had the evening meal.

            The last two years I was there my job was serving tables three times a day and making sure the girls kept their rooms clean, brushed their teeth, and took their bath. They would always put up excuses saying they didn't have time to get it all done.

            When the Duprees wanted to go into town they would bring their two children for me to babysit. Their names were Bobby and Peggy. Peggy was no trouble but Bobby had to be entertained. We would play games for a while and then he would want me to tell him stories. I would tell him about Jack and the Beanstalk, Little Red Riding Hood, Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, The Three Bears, and Three Little Pigs. He always wanted you to tell him more and he would not let you tell the same story twice. When I had told him all the stories I knew, he still wanted more so I decided to tell him a ghost story and, My, what a mistake that was! He started screaming and crying and I thought I would never get him to hush. I never tried that anymore.

Pauline and Ernest in Sunday Uniform

            Mr. Dupree and the Boy Scouts bought an old Model-T Ford and made a truck out of it. They were going on a camping trip somewhere over in Georgia, but before they started on the trip they killed a goat, dressed and cooked it. They said it tasted real good. After they ate the goat they left on their trip to Georgia. They sure had lots of problems they fixed with hay baling wire on the way. When they got there or almost there they had to camp out in a cemetery. I don't think they slept very much that night.

            While they were gone Miss Murdock decided to take the Girl Scouts on a hike to Chatham's store and then we would climb Tamassee Knob. That was a real steep mountain and we would have to pull ourselves up by holding on to some small trees and bushes. We were exhausted when we got back to school but we still had our jobs to do.

            One day Mr. Lawrence Grant was going across campus. We were sitting on the porch and he said, "Girls, did I ever tell you the story about Simon?" and we said no. He said, "Simon sold his wife for a duck. The duck egg was rotten. He sold it for cotton. The cotton was yellow. He sold it for tallow. The tallow stunk so he sold it for spunk. The spunk wouldn't burn. He sold it for a churn. The churn was cracked. He sold it for a sack. The sack was tore and he sold it for a boar. The boar was wild. He sold it for a child. The child was cross. He sold it for a horse. The horse was young. He sold it for a gun. The gun wouldn't shoot. He sold it for a boot. The boot wore out and left him without! Now girls that's the story of Simon." Sometimes he would dance us a little jig.

            Before time for school to start after I finished the ninth grade, I worked all summer in the office to pay for my tuition. There were large boxes of clothes and shoes that the D.A.R ladies sent to the school to be used for the rummage sales. These all had to be itemized and a letter written to thank them for their contributions. I also cut stencils and ran the mimeograph machine. We never knew there was such a thing as a computer. We had to do things the hard way.

            Most of the girls who came back to work through the summer stayed in the South Carolina Building. After work we would go up in the attic and bring old mattresses down to one side of the living room, move the furniture and place the mattresses on the floor to do our exercises, and had a lot of fun, but the next day we had aching muscles. We would work all the soreness out by doing our jobs.

            The first time I tried out for Glee Club I was not accepted but I didn't give up. We had to go before a group of judges who graded our voices. This was a difficult test to take. Finally, I was passed by the judges and I thoroughly enjoyed Glee Club. When Founders Day came we would often sing for the D.A.R. ladies. Founders Day was a special occasion for the students to show some of our talents. We were taught public speaking also, and we would give a speech for the ladies.

            Miss Murdock was our home economics teacher. We learned a lot about cooking and sewing. She gave us pieces of paper to design a pattern and material to cut and sew us a dress using the pattern we had designed. That was a tough job, but we enjoyed it.

            I remember one Sunday afternoon Hovie Lister and the Statesmen came. We all went to the auditorium to hear them sing. I thought that was the best music I had ever heard. Hovie always had to have a little fun and he told us about going to a concert and some woman came up to him and said, "Hovie, you have a real mellow voice." When he got home he looked up the word mellow. It said, "over ripe...almost rotten". That was not much of a compliment.

            Many times on Sunday evenings we would have Vesper Services and most of the time the students were in charge of them. These were spiritual services.

            We also had public speaking contests. This taught us not to be afraid or nervous to speak before a crowd. You could not go out for public speaking if you were a timid person.

            When we had basketball games with other schools, if we played on our court, most the time we would win because the other schools had gymnasiums and we had a dirt court. If we played in their gyms, most of the time they would win because we were not used to hardwood floors.

            I was at Tamassee all during the war years. On April 12, 1945 President Roosevelt died in Warm Springs, Georgia and that was a very sad time at the school. His body was shipped back to Washington on the train. Harry Truman was vice president and he became president and soon the war was over by bombing Hiroshima with the atomic bomb. There was so much uncertainty in our country at that time. Things finally settled down and we soon felt safe.

            As I said earlier these last two years I served tables three times a day. The girls who served tables were always the first ones out of the building each morning.

            On April Fools Day some of the boys thought it would be fun to play a prank on the girls by rigging a bucket of water over the spring that held the door shut. Whoever was the first one out the door, the bucket of water would fall and pour the water all over them. I was the first one out of South Carolina Building and Christine Jones was the first out of New York Cottage. I didn't have time to go back to my room and change clothes, so I went on and served my tables wet as a drowned rat, but Christine yelled out and said, "Whoever did that can go serve my tables!" She went back upstairs and went to bed. I don't know who served her tables.

            At Christmas the D.A.R. ladies sent gifts to the office to be distributed to all the students. Mr. Cain and the teachers gave each student several gifts. This was a joyous time for us before we left campus for Christmas holidays.

            I mentioned earlier about some of the D.A.R. mothers sending us money for notebook paper and school supplies. They would also write us letters. I still have a couple of letters sent to me by my D.A.R. mother. She lived in Katonah, NY and she and her husband owned a greeting card shop. Her name was Manona Ising Uzarowicz. She never had any children of her own because she had spent most of her years in school and colleges. She wrote in one of the letters she sent me telling me she desired for me to marry and raise a family and that I was the only child assigned to her that had graduated. She must have been a dear lady. I never got to meet her.

            The year that I was in the 10th grade was our first prom. We decorated the dining hall with flowers that grew in the Tamassee woods. It was so beautiful and we hired a band to play for our dances. Miss Timmerman sponsored us that year, and we had a marvelous time.

            Ernest was my prom date and after the prom was over we were to return to our dormitories but as we came out on the porch of Ohio Hobart House Ernest gave me my first kiss. I thought I had died and gone to heaven. It was sooo sweet. There were many times after that. He would sneak a little kiss and hug as he left me at the steps of South Carolina Cottage.

            Just a short time before I went to Tamassee I received Christ as my savior. He was my friend who sticks closer than a brother. I found that I could talk to Him when I was down and He would help me. Mrs. E. Clay Doyle gave each of us a Bible. I still have mine. Lila Doyle Nursing Center was named for her. I never got to meet her, but she must have been a generous lady. I still trust the Lord to lead me day by day.

            It doesn't matter where you come from, you can still have a dream. My dream was to finish High School as no one our generation had ever attempted to do that. With the help of the Lord and hard work on my part I finally made it. With commitment and strong faith much can be accomplished.

            The last years that I was at Tamassee, time seemed to fly by at breakneck speed. It was time for our last prom and Mr. Dupree was our class sponsor. We decorated the dining hall again and it seemed to be more beautiful than it was at our first prom. Everyone had a wonderful time dancing and reminiscing about our school years. I don't remember all the menu but brick ice cream was the dessert. My uncle, James Broome, and his band played for the dances. We all had a real good time, but we had to clean up and put the dining hall in order. We were so tired that night we were ready for bed. I don't remember getting a kiss that night but I did get a hug.

            There were twenty-five of us to graduate the year 1946. Mr. and Mrs. Dupree had written a song using all the names of the ones graduating. It was to the tune of The Man on the Flying Trapeze. I wish I had saved a copy of their song but I didn't. I have written my own version of the song and here it is:


Our class once was happy,

But now we're so sad.

We soon will be leaving,

All the fun that we had.

We launched on a journey,

Our fortunes to seek,

Oh, please wish us good luck today.


There's Doris and Nettie and Virginia,

Bobby and Geraldine and Joe,

Verner, Faye, Inez and Christine,

Janie, Pauline and Ernest, also


We worked and we played,

It's hard to believe,

The time passed so quickly,

And now there's a need,

To finish our studies,

And pass every test.

Tamassee we owe you our best.


There's Agnes and Hoyt and Andrew,

Virginia and Marjorie and Ruth,

Elizabeth, Willie, Kate, and Benny,

Doug, Helen, and Ruby Nell.


Oh, the years have flown by,

Graduation is here,

We must leave Tamassee,

The place we hold dear.

May God bless our lives,

As we go separate ways.

To Him we give Glory and Praise.


                        THE ALMA MATER


In Carolina sunlight land,

Where the storied Keowee seeks the sea,

Mid growing fields of oak and pine,

Stands our brave young Tamassee School, so fine,

There's where we work and where we play,

With beauty on each hand,

We work and play all through the day,

For there's love everywhere at Tamassee.





Oh Tamassee, dear Tamassee,

How we love thee, how we love thee,

May no troubles ere thy peace mar,

Fair Tamassee, D.A.R.


            The year we were in the 10th grade, on December 13th Leroy came home on furlough. He and Mama came to New Jersey Cottage and carried Maggie home. They did not come up on campus to let me know what they were doing. Mr. Cain told me Maggie and Leroy were getting married and she would not be coming back to school. That really upset me. They didn't come up to see me or to say goodbye. I wrote them a letter to let them know how I felt about the situation. Leroy wrote and told me that was the best reprimand he had ever gotten. I also wrote Mama and let her know just how I felt. I had not seen any of my family since early spring as I had been working to pay my tuition. I thought they could have been courteous enough to come see me. I was heartbroken and really felt so all-alone. But I talked to the Lord and soon got over it.

            Earlier I had mentioned Mr. Reiley being the shop teacher. He and the boys who worked in the shop made small boats for each of us to take down to Little River the week before we graduated and float them down the river to the bridge. We decorated them with emblems and flowers. I put a small American flag on mine right at the very front. We also wrote wishes and dreams we hoped to accomplish after school. If our boat made it all the way to the bridge without getting hung on the banks these dreams or wishes were supposed to come true. Very few boats made it, but mine did. Most everyone just let their boats stay in the river where they had lodged on the bank, but Ernest got mine as it went under the bridge. I kept it as a souvenir for several years, but in moving from one place to the other it was left in one of the houses where we lived. Ernest and I made a vow to write each other every day when we went home. We wrote it on a slip of paper and put it in the boat. We kept that vow.

            Graduation day came and there was quite a crowd of people there. We didn't have the regular cap and gown to wear but all the girls wore white dresses. The boys wore white shirts and blue jeans. There was no one from my family there to see me walk across the stage to receive my diploma. That was bittersweet, but I tried to be happy. I had accomplished my dream of finishing High School, but it was a sad time to leave all my friends and the school that I dearly loved.

            I went back to my room for the last time and finished packing my footlocker (I still have that footlocker in my attic if the rust hasn't eaten it up). I then caught the bus and went home. I will always remember that day as long as I live. God never fails to comfort!

            I thank God for Tamassee. It is truly the place of the sunlight of God!!


P.S. There are many new buildings that have been built since I went to school there. The new dining hall, the North Carolina Gibson Chapel, Michigan Building, California, a new New York Cottage, the infirmary is now a day care facility, Tamassee Auditorium, and the gymnasium. Indiana Cottage was torn down, also the Scout Hut. Ohio Hobart Hall burned in 1988. They have built a new building on Highway 11 for the rummage sales. They have a new water plant and I am sure lot's more that I could not name.

            Each time I go back to Tamassee to visit when I leave I feel as if I have left a part of me there. And I am homesick for at least a week before I get over it.

            I have many memories of friends and teachers that I learned to love while I was there.


                Return to -->10) Pauline Kelley-Cannon
             Return to --> Walhalla Raconteurs
             Return to --> www.walhalla.co